Monday, January 19, 2009

The Chelsea Hotel

There were a handful of things that I needed to do when in New York. The most important of which was to stay at the Chelsea Hotel. The Chelsea prides itself on being 'the rest stop for rare individuals'.

Think hard, because you may be more familiar with it than you think. It has had such famous residents as Janis Joplin, Brett Whitely, Jimmy Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Arthur C Clark and Stanley Kubrick while they wrote '2001 a Space Odyssey'. To name a few. I asked for the room where Sid Vicious stabbed Nancy, and the poster out the front of our room makes me think I may have got my wish!




The foyer is a circus. I spent ages here just taking it all in. The eclecticism and the vibrant history that is represents. I loved it!



The spectacular light filled stairwell. There were elevators but the stairwell walls are covered in art. The wrought iron railings make you want to cry. I didn't use that elevator much ; ).


The portrait of Sid Vicious, of the Sex pistols, that hung outside our room. He allegedly stabbed Nancy in the Chelsea.




Our room and its view. We only spent two days here but next year when I head back, I am there for whole time! The staff are rude bordering on arrogant. There is no room service. The rooms look like a 5yr old did the paint work.

So, if your after a hotel that feels like a hotel, then your in the wrong place. But, if your after a soul feeding experience and a hotel that feels like a gestalt entity. Then The Chelsea is your girl!

Utterly magnificent!

www.hotelchelsea.com

3 comments:

Me said...

I always love me some pictures :)

Anonymous said...

Way cool place. Made me lauh a little that you wanted the stabbing room.

S said...

Orhan - pretty huh? I like the stairs best!

Citizen - hehe I'm sure it was all in my head but I swear I could tell that something like that went on in that room, you know when you get a feeling from a space?